Monday, February 08, 2010

What is the future of kung fu films? Nat Post asks.

A great write up, part of a series, at The National Post on the future of kung fu movies. Melissa Leong asks:

Our culture of celebrity means that star power drives action films today. No one cares if Ben Affleck wields a cane with all the dexterity and attitude of a grandmother. CGI will fix that.

The real stuff is no longer practical. Why spend months choreographing an action sequence, risking injury to the actors, when tighter editing, short cuts and computers will produce the same result?

I think she answers her own question in the piece, which is the same as my answer. The reason skill is better than CGI is because it looks so, so much better. All the jump cuts and edits in the world will not make an untrained actor look as good as trained actors going at it at their own speed. Thoughts?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous MICHAELbina said...

Just curious, Chas...Did Caine really say, "I am just...a man?"

8:59 AM  
Blogger Charlie Kondek said...

He did! A couple times, unless I am forgetting things.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Capcom said...

I think that he said it also.

As to your article and Qs, I agree that no amount of flashy CGI can make a non-marital arts actor look like a real one. I'd even take Carradine's early stiff movements on Kung Fu before he got better at it, over the ridiculous effects in a movie like Charlie's Angels, ick. And this is coming from a girl who used to watch those old flying chop-socky movies as a teenager, I loved those. But the CGI work is mostly just cheesy looking if I can't take the martial artist in it seriously. But that's just me. :-)

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home